Wednesday, May 03, 2006

Drive to Iraqi boarder

Today we drove to the Kuwait-Iraq boarder. We stayed on the Kuwait side. Once we were out of the Kuwait City area and driving out in the desert I could not help but think that what I was looking at was in some ways the same as it was 2000 years ago. For instance I saw a sheapard watching his sheep flock. The desert was full of 100's of camels wandering over the desert and grazing. I have some cool photo's that I'll upload soon. Once we arrived at the Kuwait-Iraq boarder we meet with a Kuwait Army General and what struck me was his sense of history and how important it was to him to share his families history of service to the US and British. Once our work was done he showed us copies of official letters his family was given in 1943 from the War Department and from the British embassy for support in the 1980's. He was very proud of this and wanted to share it with us. We also learned that when Iraq invaded Kuwait he was taken prisoner and was taken to Iraq and held in a prison camp until the liberation.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

So you drove to the Kuwait and stayed on the Kuwait side of the border ? I think its cool that you saw a sheapard tending to his sheep. I dont know how you can stand the heat in that desert.

/* Analytics code